Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Gypsy

It's dark and I am running...running as fast as I can. I am winded and I need to catch my breath, but I just keep running. There are trees everywhere I turn. I keep glancing behind, checking to see if someone is chasing me. I don't see anyone, but I hear footsteps...footsteps that seam to be catching up to me. I am frightened so I keep on running. Up ahead I see fire...and I hear music...people laughing...Would I be safe here? Will I be able to outrun whatever is chasing me? I take a quick look behind, but before I can turn my head completely back to the front someone reaches out and grabs my arm.

"Child, what are you running from? Please, calm down. Come sit a while with me." An older woman, probably in her late fifties is standing right in front of me, grasping a hold of my shoulders. She looks worn and well traveled, but there is a mysterious peace within her eyes.

Those eyes are beckoning to sit with her by the fire. I forget my fears and I forget that I am running away from something or someone. I am calm, but yet well guarded I keep myself.
We sit by the fire just listening to the music and the laughter of the people in the camp. They are free spirits...Oh how I wish I could be like them...to let myself go like that...to dance without inhibitions. That is what I long for. To be free, to live my life the way I want to live just as these people are doing.

I start swaying to the music and I feel my soul letting go, but something brings me back to reality. I must keep my walls up, I must not let anyone think poorly of me, I must be proper...

I look at the woman and she looks at me. "You may feel free while you are here my child. Nothing will harm you. I see that you are searching for something, but you have not been able to find it. For when you do you will be fulfilled. Lend me your hand, I can give you insight as to what you are searching for and where to find it."

I am curious, more curious than I have been about anything in my entire life. I want to give her my hand, I want to see what she may see, but I am too scared. I keep my hands grasped firmly in my lap. She is staring at me, so intently that I feel like my insides have been set ablaze. I must leave...I must...run...

I quickly stand, though it was painful for me to do so. I want to stay with this woman, I wanted to be a part if her world, but I must run...run as fast as I can. Back through the woods from which I was running away. What I am I running from?

The days go by and the gypsy woman fills my thoughts. I am obsessed with her. I want to be a part of her world. The days turn to nights and soon I am unable to stay away. I leave my home in search of the gypsy camp. I am unable to remember the way, so I wonder the forest for hours. As I am about to give up I hear the music...I hear the laughter...I hear...the gypsies.

I am much calmer as I enter their camp this time. I walk around the fire searching for the woman I encountered the last time I was running in the woods. I turned to glance behind and then to my left and then to my right. When I faced forward again she was there right in front of me. "I expected you nights ago. I do not like to be kept waiting."

"I am sorry. I do not know if I should be here, but I am intoxicated with your camp. Something binds me to you. The last time I was here you offered to give me insight into what I was running from. Will you still be that kind?"

"Sit by the fire with me and give me your hand." I look around at the people have a good time, having second thoughts once again, but I quickly give her my hand before I feel the need to flee again. She stares at my palm, tracing the lines with her fingers. When she is done she folds my hand into a fist and places it in my lap. Without saying a word she reaches into her satchel and pulls out a necklace. It is a simple rope and at the end is a purple pendant. She stands and places the necklace about my neck. When she is finished she turns and walks away.

I rush after her, not understanding what just happened. "What did you see? What insight do you have for me? What I am running from?"

"You are running from yourself. Be who you are and not who you think others want you to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment